When you are selecting FMJ ammunition for your range time, make sure that the bullet weight matches that of your defensive ammunition.
- Example: Use 115 grain FMJ for practice and 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense for carry and defensive use
- .40 S&W
- You should use 165 grain FMJ with 165 grain defensive loads or 180 grain FMJ with 180 grain hollowpoints.
- .45 ACP
- Use 230 grain FMJ with 230 grain hollowpoints.
- Don’t be a cheapskate when it comes to defensive ammunition.
- Hornady Critical Defense works well and has a rubber core that prevents the hollowpoint from getting clogged prior to expansion
- CORBON DPX is excellent as well
- Federal Premium Hydrashocks are good as well